Phosphine Pesticide Causes Baby’s Death in Fort Murray

Family members were exposed to phosphine in a unit at this apartment building in Fort McMurray, Alta. (Google Earth)
Family members were exposed to phosphine in a unit at this apartment building in Fort McMurray, Alta. (Google Earth)

Four children have been hospitalized, and one infant has died as the result of being exposed to phosphine pesticide. Phospine pesticide is an illegal substance that is used to kill bed bugs.

The children’s mother used the substance inside of the apartment. According to Shazia Yarkhan, who is the children’s aunt, the substance was brought here from Pakistan.

The mother reportedly used the phosphine tablets on Tuesday, February 17, 2015. The children began to get sick the following Saturday. The children were taken to the hospital the following Sunday.

Two of the children were taken to Stollery Children’s Hospital. The children’s condition is reportedly improving.The other children were taken to Fort McCurray Hospital, and they are in critical condition. The mother of the children was sent to the hospital for observation, but she has been released. The infant who died from the phosphine exposure was eight months old.James Kehrer, who is a pharmacy professor at the University of Alberta, has stated that phosphine affects the nervous system.

Children are more likely to experience adverse reactions after being exposed to phosphine because they have a higher metabolic rate. That is why phosphine has been outlawed in Canada.

Source:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/phosphine-pesticide-used-to-kill-bedbugs-causes-fort-mcmurray-baby-s-death-1.2969189

Related posts

Leave a Reply